Thursday, February 16, 2017

The road less taken sometimes has the best scenery.

Sometimes it’s strange to look back on your past year, and see how much things have grown and you have changed during that year.  These days I feel a lot more like my normal self.
For those wondering how my 2017 is going, I will tell you, I have started to have adventures, and follow my goals again, just like I promised I would. This year is indeed becoming a year of possibilities, and the year I won’t say no to any opportunity, no matter how slim the chance.

The biggest goal that I had this year, was to edit my novel and start sending it to agents. It has been a scary ride. Not many people can understand what it takes to not only complete a novel, to tear into it with a critical eye, and then send something you’ve poured your heart and soul into, to be ripped apart and criticized.

I’ve gotten my second rejection letter, I expect more, but what I tell myself, is that I am indeed in the company of greats that received multiple rejections before they ever got a yet. I think what some people don’t realize, is that if you never fail, it means you’ve never actually tried at anything.
Someone recently told me, “Some of the greatest achievements in life are built by disappointments.” That will stick with me forever.

In an effort to push myself a little out of my comfort zone, I’ve started dance classes. The classes are once a week, on Thursdays at the Findlay Art League.

For the first one, I was so nervous that I would be the only single person there, that it would be only couples. That’s not how it is at all, and I’ve met a few people that I enjoy hanging out with and enjoy dancing with, even if sometimes I completely look like I don’t have a clue what I’m doing.  I still enjoy learning.

Those adventures are both ongoing. As is the continuation of the tutoring I do, continuing work on “This Is Findlay” Magazine, and actually, starting to broaden my horizons and look at other opportunities and volunteer work.

This weekend, I had a much needed escape and adventure, thanks very much to a friend of mine, who also has an adventurous spirit. We took a few detours through and around Cleveland.

When she messaged me a month or so ago to tell me about the concert in Cleveland, filled with R&B musicians from my youth, I was excited and of course,  began my  usual planning. It was also nice to be able to spend a weekend with a friend I haven't seen for several months. 

We stopped to eat lunch at Melt Bar &Grilled in Independence. It wasn’t bad. The service was good, the sangria was strong, the way I like it, but some people don’t. So that’s definitely a preference. The sandwiches were huge, so, my recommendation, is always go with the half. I could barely finish a half sandwich, I have no clue how anyone could finish a whole one! (Of course, someone will take that as a challenge. More power to you, and if you finish it, I want pictures of you trying to leave the restaurant.)

Luckily, we got there before lunch hour, because it quickly got busy while we were there. My suggestion, don’t try to have a private conversation during any busy time. The table next to you is less than three feet away from you, and every intimate detail can be heard.

With time to kill before we could check into the hotel, Brittany and I were racking our brains for something to do that didn’t involve early day drinking. Luckily, I remembered something I had been wanting to try.

Every time I have made it anywhere near Cleveland, B. A. Sweetie Candy Company has been closed. So I was excited to finally be able to visit and all I can say is…holy Jelly Belly! I’m sure that no one would be surprised to know that I wanted to stay in that particular aisle, well that and the Pez aisle, forever.
Any type of candy your childhood self could want, can be found in those aisles, and in the words of Brittany “I’m living the dream of my 10 year old self!”

Alas, it was time to check into our hotel. The location of our hotel was mostly luck, because when I originally booked, I booked by the airport, but after some thought, I decided downtown would be better. That’s how we ended up in the Raddison, directly across from Quicken Arena, and about 12 blocks away from the concert venue.

Because of our location, we were provided with plenty of entertainment from the people entering the arena, while we proceeded to get ready for our own evening entertainment. A couple of suggestions for first timers, 1. Pay the $26 for valet parking. It’s worth it, especially on a game night. Otherwise, there is no telling where we would have ended up parking. We weren’t planning to use the car really at all over the next day, but it was still better to have an idea that it was in a secure lot.

Now, this may come as no shock to most of you, but because it was game night, it was a little hard to find a restaurant nearby for a pre-show appetizer. Luckily for me, my partner in crime also has an adventurous spirit, and was willing to walk the extra blocks through Playhouse Square, where we discovered a new treasure.

First, let me start by saying I am in love with the chandelier hanging in the square, which according to playhousesquare.org, is the largest permanent chandelier in the world.
That wasn’t the treasure that we found though. We found a restaurant, with no wait time, that had actually only been opened for two days upon the time of our visit. Puente Viejo is  the new taco and tequila bar, located at 1220 Huron Road.

While we debated on whether or not to share an appetizer, I was glad we went with yes. The chicken quesadilla appetizer, for $9.50 was enough to fill both of us up, along with our frozen strawberry margaritas of course.

The owner, Marc Price, made it a point to stop, visit our table and chat for a bit. So here’s a shoutout to Mr. Price. Thank you for the pleasant meal, and conversation. Your staff, the food, and drinks were awesome.

Maybe there’s a little bit of my Uncle Joe in me after all, with that ability to make friends wherever I go.

After the show, we were winding down, but we made it a point to stop at the Winking Lizard, the hotel right by the hotel, before we turned in for the night. All I will say is, I never realized that downtown Cleveland really dies down around 1 a.m. and I didn't manage to get my souvenir. 

Before we could head home the next morning, we had one more stop to make. 

Franklin Castle is an American Queen Anne style, with four stories. Okay, so legend has it that this is the most haunted house in Ohio, but we didn’t get to test that theory because these days the house is private property.

The house was built in 1881 by architects Cudell & Richardson, for an immigrant family. Rumor says that there were several tragedies and deaths in the house, and that there are hidden rooms and passageways that were used during Prohibition.

The gate is padlocked, so there wasn’t an opportunity to knock on the door and ask if we could see inside. I'm curious if the ballroom still exists, although any information I have managed to find, says that in 2012, the new owner was planning to turn the historic building into a three family dwelling.

Don’t think for one second I didn’t think about climbing the fence. In the end, it wouldn’t have been worth the criminal charge. But it is worth the drive by viewing.

So, even though I didn’t get to see the inside, I was still able to walk around the fence and take pictures of the outside of the castle, knocking yet another castle off my list of eight in the state of Ohio.

We came home, exhausted, but relaxed.

I know that I normally end these things with some big epiphany, and life lesson I have had through the course of my adventure. This time I’m drawing a blank. We had a good weekend. Maybe the life lesson for this week is sometimes it’s okay to just relax, and enjoy the scenery.


Next month is my birthday. That means I need to plan my next adventure and am always willing drag along a new partner in crime. 


Melt Bar & Grilled

B.A. Sweetie Candy Company


Hidden treasure in Playhouse Square, newly opened. Check it out. 

This was a $9.50 appetizer! It fed two of us!


Franklin Castle





I clean up nice. 

My Weekend partner in crime. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed, Jen! That was damn good writing. Pictures are very nice, too. The one pic of you has me wondering though...are you dating a frog??

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha . no dating currently. the pig was at Melt Bar & Grilled. it has a sign on it that says "do not climb on pig". someone must have had the idea before me!

    ReplyDelete